The inaugural Global Encryption Day took place on 21 October 2021.
Global Encryption Day 2021 was an opportunity for businesses, civil society organizations, technologists, and millions of Internet users worldwide to show their communities why encryption matters to all of us.
On Global Encryption Day 2021:
- Community members held over 70 events worldwide.
- 168 organizations signed the Global Encryption Day Statement calling on governments and the private sector to reject efforts to undermine encryption.
- Nine companies shared stories about why they’re proud to offer end-to-end encrypted services to their customers.
- More than 2.4 million people visited our Make the Switch campaign website or played our Who’s Listening game, learning more about why encryption is critical to our lives.
- Thousands of people watched the Global Encryption Day Press Conference.
- More than 140 media articles were published highlighting the importance of end-to-end encryption and the challenges facing encryption, including in CNBC, The Times, TechCrunch, Euractiv and The Next Web.